Work Permit for Foreigners in China
- 1. Fast and low-cost application: The application period is 1.5-2 months, which takes less time than that of the application for other work visas.
- 2. Acquisition of a work permit in one step: The application procedure is simple and straightforward, and the work and residence permits can be acquired in one step.
- 3. Access to applying for the Chinese green card: Applicants can use their work permits to accumulate work experiences in China, to meet the requirements for acquiring a Chinese green card.
- 4. Multiple exit and entry of China with one visa: The visa allows to enter and exit China for many times, with high flexibility.
- 5. Flexible application for work permit: As long as applicants meet one of the requirements, their work permits can be flexibly extended or changed when expired.
Asset requirement: No requirements
Immigration period: 1.5-2 months. Project features: Low cost, rapid application
Application conditions for work permit for foreigners coming to China
Class A is required to meet one of the following conditions:
- 1. More than 85 points
- 2. Compliance with internationally recognized identification standards of professional achievements
- 3. Innovative entrepreneurial talents
Class B is required to meet one of the following conditions:
- 1. More than 60 points
- 2. Have a bachelor degree or above and 2-year and above relevant work experiences
- 3. Hold a qualification certificate for international general occupational skills
- 4. Foreign language teaching staff
As China’s position in the global economic stage has become increasingly important in recent years, more and more foreigners come to China to seek a job.
According to Chinese laws, foreigners must apply for a work visa when they are employed in China.The procedures for foreigners to apply for work visas are relatively tedious. To sum up, the complete set of process mainly includes the following six steps:
- Employment Permit for Foreigners – Invitation Letter of Work Visa for Foreigners
- Get a temporary work visa at a Chinese Embassy abroad or the Hong Kong Office of the Commissioner
- Entry. Employment Certificate for Foreigners. Residence Permit for Foreigners
Guides for foreigners to apply for a work visa in China
Step 1: Application for for an employment permit for foreigners
Employers employing foreigners shall first apply for an employment permit for foreigners before the employee enters China, and obtain the Employment Permit of the People’s Republic of China for Foreigners after approval.
Required foreigner materials
Foreigners must be 24-60 years old according to the official requirement.
- 1. Copy of the passport
- 2. A two-inch photo in white or blue background
- 3. Copy of the physical examination certificate for overseas personnel
- 4. Chinese resume
- 5. Original and copy of the bachelor degree diploma or above and the professional skill qualification certificates
- 6. Chinese translation of academic certificates (with the official seal of a translation company)
- 7. The original certificate for two years of overseas work experiences and above after undergraduate graduation (If one has worked in China, he/she can provide a copy of a two-year work visa or employment permit)；2-year accumulative work experience is accepted.
- 8. Chinese translation of work experiences (with official seal of a translation company).
Required company materials
- 1. Original and copy of the business license (with official seal)
- 2. Original and copy of the approval certificate (with official seal) (provided by exclusively foreign-owned enterprise or joint ventures)
- 3. Copy of the articles of association
- 4. Copy of the joint venture contract (provided by joint ventures and cooperative companies)
- 5. Original and copy of the social insurance registration of the enterprise (with official seal) (provided by domestic enterprises)
- 6. Written Application Report on Employment of Foreigners (describe in detail the reason for employment, job title; with official seal)
- 7. Intention of enterprises to employing foreigners (with board resolution for posts above deputy general managers and official seal)
- 8. An employment application form for foreigners (with official seal of the applicant company) (with a two-inch photo attached on the form)
Step 2 Application for Invitation Letter of Work Visa for Foreigners
The invitation letter of work visa for foreigners is officially called the Visa Notification Form of the Authorized Organization.
Required foreigner materials
1. Copy of the passport (with official seal)
2. A report form of application for visiting foreign businessman (with official seal)
3. Original and copy of the employment permit
Required company materials
1. Original and copy of the duplicate of the business license (with official seal)
2. Original and copy of the approval certificate (with the official seal) (provided by foreign-owned enterprises or joint ventures)
Step 3 Receipt of a temporary work visa from a Chinese Embassy abroad or the Hong Kong Office of the Commissioner
Send the invitation letter and the Employment Permit of the People’s Republic of China for Foreigners to foreigners abroad.
Foreigners can go to the Chinese Embassy abroad or the Office of the Commissioner of the Mainland in Hong Kong to get a work visa with the originals of the employment permit and invitation letter.
Originals of the employment permit and the invitation letter for work visa for foreigners as well as other materials required by the local embassy
Step 4: Entry
Step 5: Application for the Employment Permit for Foreigners
- 1. Return the original of the employment permit for foreigners;
- 2. Fill in the employment registration form for foreigners in triplicate (the upper left corner of the form should be stamped with the company’s official seal and attached with a recent one-inch bareheaded photo with the same background);
- 3. Originals and copies of the passport and work visa of the employed foreigner (with official seal) (If foregoing documents are in foreign language, they must be translated into Chinese and then stamped with official seal);
- 4. Health certificate of the foreigner to be employed (Certificate of health examination issued by the entry-exit inspection and quarantine department after examination indicating that one does not have infectious diseases;When a copy is provided, such copy must be stamped with the company’s official seal);
- 5. Original and copy of the labor contract signed between the employer and the employed foreigner (If such contract is in a foreign language, it must be translated into Chinese and then stamped with the company’s official seal; if the employer is a resident office of the foreign-owned enterprise, such contract is not required);
- 6. A recent two-inch bareheaded photo of the foreigner (for the use of a certificate);
- 7. The employed foreigner shall be present to sign the Employment Permit while applying for such permit.
Step 6: Application for handling residence formalities
To get a Residence Permit for Foreigners, the applicant shall have the residence formalities handled at the entry and exit administration office of the municipal public security bureau with an valid Employment Permit for Foreigners within 30 days after entering China.